Our Technology, Media & Telecommunications lawyers provide local and international clients with world-class, specialist legal support across the full spectrum of TMT law matters.
We combine the firm’s Arabic-speaking lawyers and locally-qualified advocates, and specialist international lawyers, our TMT team provides clients with top quality legal services. The team’s advice is practical and informed by its familiarity with the sectors in which our clients operate, the legal and regulatory environments of more sophisticated jurisdictions, and our deep knowledge of local law and practice.
Our TMT team services a client base that includes technology vendors, as well as a diverse range of private and public sector technology purchasers. Many of these clients are in the financial services sector, including banks, media companies, insurance companies and payment solution providers. Other clients operate in the e-commerce space, ranging from modest on-line marketplace start-ups through to developers of significant technologies.
The need for efficient infrastructure and a general desire to move towards knowledge-based economies is resulting in increased public sector investment in technology in our region.
Private and public sector clients are seeking to enhance their existing systems, including by adopting world-leading technological solutions.
Our core services include:
- Support and documentation on all types of transactions in the technology sector, such software licensing, consultancy services and outsourcing;
- Technology and intellectual property aspects of corporate and commercial transactions, including employment and consultancy;
- Local law compliance in respect of diverse technology-related issues, including data protection, use of encryption;
- Advise on government procurement rules in a technology context; and
- Contentious technology-related matters, including allegations of copyright infringement, disputes as to ownership of technology and improvements, and disputes relating to failure to perform under technology services agreements
The region has a young demographic, increasing incomes and greater access to content via tablets and smartphones and applications.
Broader considerations, such as an increased desire for local content, alternative means of content delivery, and growth in the regional sports and events sector, is resulting in development in the media sector.
Specific cities in the region have become high-profile tourism and event destinations, and the diversity of potential filming locations across the region has also attracted international attention. Meanwhile, there are still major considerations that service and content providers, and their customers, need to consider.
We provide support in relation to:
- Guidance and documentation on all types of transactions and compliance with Media regulations;
- Advise on content production, commissioning arrangements and distribution agreements, barter agreements, agreements with talent, ownership and copyright assignment;
- Local law advisory and regulatory compliance in respect of diverse media-related issues, including local content restrictions, non-compliance with publishing/broadcasting related restrictions and policies; and
- Contentious media-related cases, including copyright infringement, social-media take-downs, and addressing non-compliance with local regulatory requirements.
We advise suppliers, operators and customers across all related contractual, legal and regulatory matters including commercial/transactional, regulatory, corporate/M&A, finance, competition, outsourcing, employment and pensions, disposals, intellectual property, dispute resolution, real estate and tax advice, e-commerce and data privacy, and assist them in their interactions with the telecoms regulator (CITC). In the event that a dispute arises, we work closely with our Dispute Resolution team to ensure that our clients’ objectives are achieved.
By being fully immersed in our clients’ landscape, we are able to reflect their business drivers in the solutions and advice we provide as trusted legal advisors.
We provide support in relation to:
- MVNO & VNO contracts;
- Management agreements with operators;
- Telecoms facilities and infrastructure contracts;
- Telecoms & IT outsourcing, and consulting contracts;
- Contracts for the sale and purchase of telecoms & IT equipment