Through its extensive knowledge of the regional regulatory environment, BSA has been involved in providing incorporation solutions to, and advising on, market entry for international insurance companies in various jurisdictions including Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Jordan, Beirut, Kuwait and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The department is uniquely headed by an insurance expert, who has wide-ranging experience and is renowned in the insurance industry. Such human capital provides us with the ability to create innovative solutions tailor made to the insurance industry and our clients’ unique requirements and needs.
We offer a unique service on speciality lines of insurance including event cancellation, offering expert advice for complex claims handling, regulatory and legal advice for underwriters (including Lloyds of London syndicates).
Our diversified client portfolio covers both conventional and Islamic insurance, with the essential ability and resources to advise, develop, structure and document Shari’a compliant Takaful and Re-Takaful products. BSA’s insurance and reinsurance services include, but are not limited to the following:
- Regulatory including prudential and corporate governance;
- Market entry including M&A licensing and penetration strategy;
- Arbitration and litigation for treaty or facultative arrangement;
- Motor Claims Litigation;
- New Market Insurance Exploratory;
- New Market Insurance Licensing;
- Life Insurance Litigation and Arbitration;
- Marine Insurance Litigation and Arbitration;
- General Insurance Litigation and Arbitration;
- Legal and Regulatory Advice for Life Insurance;
- Legal and Regulatory Advice for Marine Insurance (including marine and non marine classes); and
- Legal and Regulatory Advice for General Insurance.
BSA has the unique advantage of having direct and personal contacts with local regulators throughout the MENA region. We have advised regulators and national governments in the Middle East on legislative developments for the insurance sector and have assisted legislative bodies in drafting insurance laws. Our network of contacts includes the following regulators:
- The Insurance Authority in the UAE
- The DFSA in the DIFC: BSA has extensive hands on experience in the DFSA insurance regulations; the DFSA Prudential – Insurance Business Module (PIN); and the DFSA Prudential- Investment, Insurance Intermediation and Banking Business Module (PIB)
- The Central Bank of Bahrain
- The Qatar Financial Centre Regulatory Authority in the QFC
- The Insurance Commission in Jordan
- The Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority
- The Bermuda Monetary Authority
- The Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom
- The Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners in the United States.
BSA’s clients range from multinational corporations to local companies, all profiting from the firm’s adaptive and innovative legal services. BSA’s client-centered approach ensures the continuous expansion of the firm’s knowledge base and enhances the quality of our legal advice.