In an economy where arbitration is increasingly gaining ground as the dispute resolution mechanism of choice, the Middle East has responded to its need through the creation of experienced centres across the region.
The GCC Commercial Arbitration Centre in Bahrain, the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) and the Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce and Industry provide facilities and services for conducting commercial arbitration with a developed pool of arbitrators possessing local, regional and international experience. As a result, the arbitrators involved in such disputes have extensive knowledge of local laws and practices.
Our lawyers undertake representation of clients in local and international arbitration proceedings across a variety of industry sectors including construction and engineering, corporate, franchising and marketing and media. We apply our proficiency and expertise when representing and advising clients seeking legal advice in arbitration proceedings at all stages encountered, from deciding the correct arbitral tribunal, to applying our effective advocacy skills in arbitration hearings.
With valuable support from our experienced litigation team, who possess local rights of audience before the Courts in all our office locations, we can offer our clients an extensive range of professional legal services that ensure the procedural and substantive integrity of a final arbitral award is addressed at the stage of local Court ratification.
We also advise on adjudications, particularly in relation to the construction industry, and provide pre arbitration construction advisory services. We have a high success rate in forging amicable dispute settlements, saving our clients a significant amount of time and cost.
- Representing a Dubai based media corporation in UNCITRAL proceedings against a Dubai Government Department for claims in excess of AED55million in relation to construction, engineering approvals and installation of outdoor marketing media infrastructure.
- Representing a UAE based MEP contractor in connection with two DIAC proceedings against a yacht interiors contractor for delay and disruption claims arising out of two contracts for the supply, installation and maintenance of air conditioning and ventilation works to factory, office and service blocks in Jebel Ali.
- Representing and advising a UAE based sub-consultant in ad hoc proceedings in relation to variation and additional works claims under purchase orders for the carrying out of onshore surveys, geotechnical investigations and design of identified components of onshore civil works in relation to multiple main contracts with a local government authority.
- Representing and advising a Dubai based sub-contractor in DIAC proceedings filed against the main contractor for amounts due in respect of loss of profit arising out of early termination of a sub-contract for environmental works at a major Dubai project.
- Representing a Dubai based main contractor in defending DIAC proceedings filed by a sub-contractor in connection with alleged variation claims arising from a subcontract for pre-insulated chilled water pipe network in a Mirdiff road infrastructure project.
- Representing a Dubai based electronics supplier in DIAC proceedings against a major multimedia international corporation in connection with amounts due under a concession agreement for the sale of electronic equipment.
PRE ARBITRATION EXPERIENCE
- Advising a regional civil contractor on the merits of various claims against a well known regional developer in relation to the construction of an upmarket villa development worth AED500million.
- Advising a regional civil contractor on pre-dispute strategy to ensure the enforceability of claims originating from a construction contract to the value of approximately AED700million.
- Advising a building contractor on the validity and enforceability of a settlement agreement concluded with a multi-national developer.
- Advising a Dubai based main contractor in connection with its variation and additional costs claims to fit out equipment under a contract for the construction of 136 townhouses at a major Dubai residential project. Advice included advising on the liabilities of suppliers for defective materials, the options for attributing liability to the employer’s specifications and negotiating an amicable settlement thereon.