We offer the full range of legal and business services for our energy and engineering clients – our lawyers have worked on a variety of matters within the UAE, Sultanate of Oman, Iraq and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, handling matters including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, unitizations, project design, development and operations, financings, investments, environmental and regulatory matters, litigation, arbitration, intellectual property matters, and tax structuring.
BSA is frequently called upon to analyze and assess international and local law considerations and help structure and document complex, challenging or novel cross-border transactions and projects, as well as defend the interests of clients involved in these matters should a dispute arise.
While the energy sector is highly regulated in the Gulf region, our lawyers are highly experienced in dealing with the regulators, ensuring swift resolution on pending regulatory issues.
Our lawyer’s expertise in this sector includes:
- Contractual disputes
- Commercial agency disputes
- Commercial agreements regarding oil & gas take off agreements / sale commission
- Funding and finance agreements
- Litigation matters
- Negotiation of government contracts
- Regulatory issues
- Tender submissions to government projects
The team advises on how to practically and elegantly securing and preforming energy and infrastructure projects by its familiarity with the sectors in which our clients operate, the legal and regulatory environments, and our deep knowledge of local law and practice.
We offer comprehensive legal advice and representation in all the different forms of tender procedures, from the preparation stage through to award and post-award stages.
The main legal services offered on tender law can be summarized as follows:
- Legal due diligence on the tendered project
- Preparation of tender files and proposals
- Developing bid strategies
- Attending to and representation during tenders
- Negotiating, reviewing and drafting contracts
- Advising on post-award stages
- Filing and pursuing bid protests and related lawsuits
- A Fortune 500 client on litigation matters against the Sharjah Government in relation to US sanctions against Iran with claims totalling in excess of $150m.
- An oil and gas equipment and services company in relation to an abusive termination claim by a former employee amounting to AED 4.5 million, covering hypo tax deductions, end of service benefits and company stock for the term of his employment.
- An oil and gas equipment and services company in relation to an abusive termination claim by a formers employees amounting to AED 1.275 million covering hypo tax deductions, end of service benefits and company stock for their term of employment.
- Defending and counterclaiming proceedings filed by a Petroleum company in relation to compensation for unlawful termination of 6 oil services related contracts for Abu Musa Island, where a signed MOU between Iran and the UAE potentially exposing an oil and gas equipment and services company to the risk of being in breach of US sanctions.
- An oil and gas equipment and services company in claim by a former country manager, Jamal Al Rubaei in relation to wrongful termination based on transactions not authorised by the company and outside of the claimant’s scope of authority.
- An oil and gas equipment and services company in a litigation case brought by a local company for termination of a contract related to the supply and operation of heavy machinery for oil and gas related operations.
- A major oil and gas company in a USD 60 million commercial dispute before the Sharjah Courts; and
- An engineering and oilfield services company against a labour claim filed by a former engineer whose services had been terminated.
Head of Spanish and Latin American Desk